Monday, September 3, 2007

Utah Road Trip 2007

So, Dustin and I decided to go down to Utah this weekend. Dustin said that I could do anything that I wanted and that I had to plan it. So, I started finding weird places to go but I also wanted to do a little family history (which the trip turned into doing family history 98% of the time.) Our first stop was in Preston, Idaho where you can see those wonderful pictures of different sites off of the movie Napolean Dynanite. (on a different post)


Our next stop was to different cemeteries that my great relatives were buried at. It was a very spiritual experience for me to find these people and how the Lord truly did lead me to where they were. We also had some funny experiences. At one certain cemetery there were wasps all over this map that told you where each person was buried. My loving husband went in with a blanket on and found the information that we needed. I was laughing so hard because he was yelling and screaming for the wasps to go away and how he thought he was going to get stung.

I later found out that I had 7 bug bites all over my leg from something in the grass at the cemeteries. ( I hope that it wasn't a flesh eating bug!!!)

We also made a quick stop by the Logan Temple where Dustin told me this is the place where Dad and Mom (and family) were sealed together. We also drove by Salt Lake. For those of you wondering, it still looks very salty. Our last stop for the night was called the biggest pit in the world. We followed these instructions that I got off the Internet and were starting to climb up this steep mountain and the road turned into gravel. (We were in the Ford Taurus and knew it probably wasn't going to make it up it.) There were cows and deer all over the road and they wouldn't move until we honked the horn. So, we went back down and asked someone where this big pit was. They told us to go where we just came from but go up further and we would see it. So, we drove back up there and got to the top. Come to find out it wasn't the right place and there wasn't a big pit, the view was nice at least!!! We stayed at my aunt's house that night and she told us that we went to the wrong place and the pit wasn't far from her house.


The next day we went to 2 more cemeteries and one of them being the one in Salt Lake City. After we looked for my relatives, we looked for different prophets. It was tons of fun. Some of the ones that we found were: Woodruff, Grant, Taylor, and Hinckley. In the pictures Dustin is by Taylor and I am by Hinckley's. (Well, his wife but also his stone)


We then went to temple square. We went to the Museum of Church History and Art. It was neat to see everything that was inside of it.

There was one section that had all of the prophets, all the way back to Joseph Smith, and different artifacts of their belongings. One of the things for President Hinckley was a pulpit that you could stand at. Dustin of course took full advantage of this. We then went and looked at the new tabernacle that was just dedicated in the last conference session. Our last stop was to the Christis.


Our last day, we stopped at Bear Lake. The Lake was the bluest lake we have every seen. It had a really nice beach area too! We thought it
was better then the beach in Mexico!


Overall, we had a really good time and it was a fun quick trip!

0 comments: