Sunday, September 16, 2007

Ice Caves


Yesterday Cassie and I went with some friends to go out on a fun adventure to some caves in St. Anthony. Little did we know this fun adventure could have turned into an icy grave site for six.

This journey begins by literally climbing rocks down into this Valley where you then enter the mouth of the cave as seen on your left. (That white thing is me, Dustin)



I was soon joined by my loving wife who was beginning to get a bit worried. We were now entering a dark, wet cave full of Ice, you know she loves the cold!











You enter by crawling on your hands and knees through a tunnel, the best you can on pure ice! (Left Pic, Sorry for the butt shot) The tunnel is just big enough for someone to sit up in. There is nothing but ice under you so it creates a slippery excursion, with a whole lot of laughter!





Some of us chose different methods of travels along this icy path. My wife chose the butt scoot, Shortly after we began our journey I switched to the unfailing army crawl method. This also meant our clothes were getting soaked.



Through out the tunnel there were many ups and downs as you crawled along. One in particular was as a sweet ice slip n' slide. We took turns going down and laughing at each other as we watched. Of course I took full advantage of this opportunity to be a Lil' kid again!




We finally reached an opening were you could stand, which was followed by a Cliff that had a rope for you to use as you climbed down. There were a lot of frozen waterfall looking things along with just cool looking icy creations. For the girls' safety we decided not to go down the cliff.



It was soon time to climb back out and the travels back through the tunnel began. Like always going back was much more difficult than entering. There were now more up hills than down hill rides and some struggled. I, for instance slipped a couple times, once sliding all the way back down where i just came from. Once I pushed Cassie up a hill by her bum. Some created a human chain with their arms and legs while I ended up lying on my back and walking along the ceiling.




Through out the journey back out of the depths of an icy abyss, many lost hope that we would make it out alive. Some asked themselves, Is this my destiny? Will I ever see my family again? I thought to myself, man it feels nice and cool down here. Is this really the end?

None of these feelings occurred or questions were asked as we climbed out, although it would have made a dramatic end to our journey, but it didn't really happen. We all laughed and had a good time together. Many had cold wet buts but that was the extent of the complaints.

0 comments: