Sunday, June 22, 2008

Teanaway River Campout

Aunt Kay and I wanted to do something special for Father's Day this year for the men in our lives so we decided on a "remote" camping trip with few amenities, trails, flowers, fishing, campfire pit, and quiet. Teanaway Indian Camp got the nod!

Dad and I didn't have a tent (darn) so we rented a pop-up tent from the base and pulled it with "old Blue". Yes, I rode in it!

We didn't arrive until about seven Friday night and the last mile was on a VERY bumpy, pot-holed, rocky drive. We joined the others roasting hotdogs and marshmellows, eating chili, hot chocolate and enjoying the bonfire. Stayed up till about ten enjoying the fire and company. Jonathan, Veronica and their family joined us also. I ask them if it was as much fun with us older set and they laughed and said, "Oh, it's much more fun. You guys are hysterical." Thanks you guys....I think!


The next day we had fruit, pancakes, and sausage and egg breakfast. There's nothing like it off the grill on the fire. Then we packed up for a fishing/hiking/flower hunting day. We started off about nine and took our time.

First things first...I found dad a walking cane he could sand with rocks along the way. The hike was full of beautiful flowers, brush and trees everywhere. We stopped and watched while grandpa and Tom fished. The river was beautiful with rapids and waterfalls. We'd hiked a mile and a half when we came to some beautiful meadows FULL of different colored flowers (red, orange, yellow, white, and purple).

The grass was high and I felt like running through it singing songs from "the sound of music"! We then fished a while and sat by the river before heading back to camp. Tom got me a fish and that's it!
Saturday night the girls fixed the guys a steak dinner over the fire. Dad's T-bone was just right!!! I'd made a potato salad, had green salad and Bush's beans. They had a hard time trusting us on the "grill" but we managed to succeed. Then they had oreo's dipped in milk for dessert. Then we sat around the fire and laughed and laughed. We also "tried" to make up a story in rounds but it got a little out of control if you know what I mean! (Jack and Tom were together and it never changes)

Sunday morning we fixed the guys a hashbrown, bacon, eggs, muffin, and fruit breakfast before breaking down camp and heading home. We gave grandpa a campchair with a hood (to keep sun from eyes when fishing) and nice card which made him cry.


It was a GREAT weekend and we enjoyed the quiet and God's beauty everywhere. Was nice to reconnect with Kay and Tom and do something together like "old times". Grandpa missed grandma terribly but enjoyed doing what they had enjoyed together for so many years. Dad and I definately want to do more.....and with the pop-up tent!

2 comments:

Family said...

Good Job Mom and Dad! You did, your first post! Glad you two had fun!

Dustin and Cassie said...

I new you guys could do it! Love the Pop up! Go Ol' Blue! It looks like you all had a blast!