
Well, grandpa sent over some beets from his garden and in "grandma style" ask that they be canned and not wasted. So Saturday morning I got up, got all the canning essentials "out of mothballs" and got busy. It wasn't long before I could sense mom/grandma with me. So many memories came flooding back of doning our gingham or flowered aprons(my grandma had made), washing hundreds of jars, washing boxes fruit/vegetables, peeling off their skins, packing them in jars, pouring syrup on top (or some kind of liquid), and processing them in a cooker. It would get so hot in the kitchen, we would have to move to the covered patio which was surrounding by trees and so much cooler. Literally weeks of my precious summer vacation and weekends during fall harvest were spent creating a cellar full of food for our family's winter months. We seldom shopped at the grocery store because grandpa contributed LOTS of venison, "BOZ" our cow gave us milk, my aunts chickens gave us eggs, fruit grew in our orchard, vegetables grew in abundance in the garden, and I was blessed to have a mother who made sure NOTHING was wasted. Grandma felt a sacred stewardship to the harvest provided by our Heavenly Father. As I boiled, peeled, and bottled my beets and bread/butter pickles, tears couldn't help but fall from my eyes...tears from wonderful memories with my"oh, so special angel mom".

1 comments:
I'm glad your were able to have a day "with Grandma" The other day when I talked with Grandpa he said he wished Grandma could be here when our Baby came and I told grandpa there was no way Grandma wasn't going to know one of her Grandchildren. She was with our child now. He got a little emotional. I love you Dad and Mom
Post a Comment