Monday, May 25, 2009

SILVER FALLS CAMPOUT......














You know how Dad always tells us to embellish the boring so we can have a good story to tell about "the really bad" vacation?????? Well, I don't have to embellish anything about this trip! Got great stories, had good company, beautiful scenery, and good food! Silver Falls is located twenty eight miles from Entiat up into the mountain. You follow the Entiat River almost as far as you can go. Kay, Dad, I, and Colty got there Thursday night and stayed until Sunday early afternoon. Tom and Girlie joined us on Friday night!
Friday morning we got up and had a great breakfast and decided we were going to go on a hiking trail Kay and Tom had gone on before and saw a lot of flowers. It was pretty flat so dad could go too. We had gone a little over a half mile and I had to go...couldn't wait...embarrassing moment! Anyway, told everyone to keep walking. As I "squatted", I heard a familiar sound to my childhood in Eastern Washington.....you know the one a rattlesnake makes when it's going to strike! You are either suppose to move quickly or not at all. After making contact with the eyes of that rattler guess which one I did! I thought about two seconds and jumped a record length in a squatting position. We headed down the trail!

The rest of the times were hiking, walking, looking at flowers, trees, bushes, and seeing so much. Pictures just don't do it justice. The river falls were so dramatic in places. They just tumbled over the rocks and trees that had fallen. Silver Falls was as pretty as any we have seen in our travels......even Hawaii's. It's about a mile hike up to the top and we almost made it...Tom and Kay went on and did go all the way. You hike on steps cut into the mountain that switch back and forth. It is breathtaking to look up and see cascading down. In one of the pictures you see what looks like a snow patch but it's the water from the falls from the parking lot where you start your climb. Colty and Jack wanted to swim in this little area at the bottom so we did that coming down. It was freezing!!! Grandpa came up on Saturday and spent some time. Was good to see him again. We all piled in Girlie's truck and went way up into the mountain as far as we could go...we all rode the old fashion way...in the back! Colty and Tom decided they wanted chairs so they could scope their kingdom! So..so fun!
At night we sat around the "white man's camp fire" and talked, joked, sang, told stories, and listened to Girlie play her guitar. Kay got really into Colty's Wolf Scout book and we were learning Indian sign language and having a lot of fun with that. We usually went to bed pretty early because of all the walking. I got up during the night once and there was a gorgeous doe standing outside Tom/Kay tent looking in. I thought about how you men would love a shot at her. HaHa
The last pictures are rolling up the BIG tent and using Colty as a "human rolling pin" to get the air out of the tent before stuffing it in the bag. Breaking camp is always so much work and a little bit SAD! Was a great three days......

3 comments:

*Danette said...

Colt, you make one good rolling pin! = )

Dustin and Cassie said...

Dad and Mom you guys are the coolest parents ever! We are so happy you went and had fun and were able to make memories to have forever with each other, in mom;s case maybe nightmares! We all love you both.

Cook Family said...

Hey guys,

Thanks for taking Colton on this adventure! He had a great time and felt very grown up being away from home and having his own adventure. I have to admit, I enjoyed him being on this trip too!

Love you all,

Denise