Sunday, October 25, 2009

Cowgirl Up!!

So my friend Scott has a sister that lives on a ranch and she said we could go help be "ranch hands" for the day and ride horses, of course I was in! Now he also said we could "preg check" a cow if we wanted to... this meant sticking your arm up the cow and feeling around for a baby. I told mom and how I kind of wanted to do it and she said I would chicken out.
We left Friday for our two hours drive. We were going to camp on their land, didn't happen. It was raining so we had a slumber party in his sister, Heather's living room, made banana boats in the oven and played Texas Hold 'Em. Side note: I don't play poker but somehow I beat our friend German (pronounced Her-mon, he is from Chile) who knows how to actually play. My biggest feet? A full house, thank you very much. Okay back on track. We woke up at some grub and headed out to ride horses.
Tiana and I in the car
Me, Tiana and Joe Joe in the car. We bought bandannas of course!

Now if any of you can remember I have ALWAYS had a BAD experience with riding horse. Example number 1: I fell trying to get on the last horse I rode and then when I was riding it, I literally almost fell of three times. So needless to say, I was scared. But I did it!! I got fine, the horse was fine (her name was Bonnie), we even ran! I was holding on for dear life at the point but I rode a running horse. And no, I don't have pictures because I was scared to bring my camera out and drop it and it break. Oh well. Before lunch we had to heard the bull into some other pen so when we brought the mommas and babies in to give them shots and what not they would be out of the way. So remember, I'm scared of horses and Rick (Scott's brother in law) was like ya'll wanna go get them bulls? We did. So German, Joe and I went in. HOLY, Danette, cow are nasty. We got in there and as we were trying to get them through the gate they were SHOOTING their poo!! I swear it shot out at least 6 feet. It was NASTY! But we got them in and I no poop on me. Then it was time for lunch.

The horse Clyde, he was HUGE! I rode Bonnie who is in the back. They are brother and sister and it took me FOREVER to put the Bonnie and Clyde names together. I'm an idiot.
Then we got lunch and then it was time to work... We herded all the moms and calves into a pen, then separated the calves from the moms, then the boys from the girls calves. Those cows are crazy and poo a TON! Apparently its a stress factor. While doing all this we had a few cows get super crazy. One calf jumped the fence and got in with the moms. They had to rope it and the drag it in.
Dragging the calf. That's Rick
The second cow was a momma who didn't want to get in the lineup thing. She was also roped and drug in. I was scared when she broke part of the fence for the line into the holding thing and then when she jumped and was half way over the fence trying to get out of the line up thing! She was crazy momma!
Crazy momma getting roped in.
German, Scott and Joe Joe being "manly" hahah the sticks are what they used to poke the cows with and stuff.
I lucked out and didn't get any on me but poor Scott got poo on him.
Here is the line up thing...
The holding pen thing. This is where all the shots and stuff. Scott and Joe made them move by poking them, German gave the cows two shots, Rick was locking them in, the vet was tattooing them, and I was spraying this de-wormer stuff.
The second to last cow German maned up and preged check her. It was HILARIOUS watching it. Here he is with his arm in and feeling around...
Then it was time. After all the craziness that day and experiencing stuff I had never even knew about the vet turned to me and asked me the question, "You gonna preg check her?" My thoughts, "Oh crap! I don't want it to poop on me while my arm is up it!" " German did it so I can" " I gotta show my girl power" the deciding factor thought... "Mom said i wouldn't do it, watch this..." I PREG CHECKED A COW!! It was nasty. Cool. But SUPER nasty!!

I'm in a cow!!
The after pic... yes that is a combination of poop and this lube stuff the vet has that is like a bottle of clear snot.
My shoes may be caked with cow poo, I may still have flash backs of my arm in a cow, my butt may still hurt from riding the horse BUT it was a TON of fun being a cowgirl for the day!!

4 comments:

*Danette said...

Its officical -- I'm getting a cow! Now that you know how to do all the nasty stuff I can just hire you to care for it! = )

YOu got mad skills cowgirl! Love you and don't ever touch me with your left arm again! = )

Danelle said...

They were DIRTY!! And I was sicked out but yes, I could feel it out for you now. And as soon as I get home I'm gonna touch EVERYTHING with my left arm! :]

Cook Family said...

Whoa-Nelly! (Say that with a Cowboy-twang)!

I am so super impressed. You know, I told my Cassie we should call our sister-Cassie and see if we could help on her Dad's dairy farm! Now you've inspired us to take a family vacation to work as ranch hands with cows! It would be our families version of the movie "City Slickers".
I do feel sorry for the cows getting violated by people without medical degrees! Nell-you're the bomb as always!

Cook Family said...

Oh yeah...did you feel a baby cow in there?