Wednesday, October 6, 2010

People Helping People in Salem, Ohio.....




Dad had gone to the fire station to ask where the cemetary could be found and I told him I'd wait in the car. Over on the street in front of me were some people of all ages working together in a garden. I went over and ask an elderly lady standing by "what they were doing". She ask her son to come over from the garden.....He was such a nice young man with some slight disabilities. I posed my question to him again and this was his reply:

"This property was sitting empty so some of us decided we'd see if we could get enough donations to create a community garden for the foodbank in town and the shut-ins which are mostly elderly. The economy has really hit the foodbanks hard and a lot of the shut-ins don't have a way to get the fresh produce they need in their diets. Before we knew it a 91 year old man had been a bulldozer driver and came over HIMSELF and turned the ground and leveled it out. A builder in town gave us the top soil, a farmer donated chicken manure, and a nursery gave us 500 plants. We had us a garden and it has more than reached the goal of feeding the needy and elderly in our community." He then went over and picked me two of the greatest looking tomatoes to take with me. In the half hour I sent with these wonderful people I was in the presence of some of Heavenly Father's choicest children. They really made my day.......Oh, did I mention she worked at the geneological library in town. Great help!

0 comments: